Tina Larsen

Parking Facilities Maintenance Assistant


I was born and raised here in Santa Cruz, graduating from Santa Cruz High in 1981. I want to make a difference and hope to be part of the solution in making our City safer and cleaner.

I work in Parking Services where our focus is the maintenance of the City garages and parking lots. We also do garbage runs on Pacific Avenue, Cedar Street and Front Street once per day Monday through Saturday, and twice on Sunday. Many folks don’t realize that our crew works 365 days a year. We are on the job from 5 a.m. to 12 or 1 a.m. There’s a lot of work that happens so that Santa Cruz is clean and safe by 8 a.m.

I got the job four years ago when someone from Sanitation told me about a temp opening. At the time, the company I worked for no longer offered health benefits. I was seeking a position where I could provide insurance for my family. I applied and was fortunate enough to get hired.

The best part of my job is working with my co-workers who are very supportive. I look forward to coming to work and being part of this team despite occasional challenges working with the public when they are frustrated or in distress. I find that slowing down and returning to a duty later is often all it takes, but it can be hard work.

Off of the job, I am a seamstress and limit my work to performance costumes. My hobbies include wilderness camping and four-wheeling. I am also an avid target shooter. I am very concerned about our local homeless youth and have served as a licensed foster parent.

I have been married since 1993 to Paul and have one 20-year-old son, Caleb. My favorite music is anything my son is playing live! At home we run our lights off of solar. We compost, have a garden and raise chickens.