Marcelo Ogarrio

Resource Recovery Worker II


Up here atop the Resource Recovery Facility hill, I manage the green waste and diversion area. Over eight years now I’ve had the best view in town!

I feel good about my work helping to make this a greener planet. I am proud that 80 percent of our green waste is sent offsite for composting and the rest is used onsite or sold here as part of our mulch product. The reusable wood or lumber that I sort is also offered to the public at a modest fee, along with the redwood chips and tan wood chips that we create.

My biggest challenge is clearing the trash I find that customers have mixed into the green waste.

My funniest work day was literally getting stuck in thick mud after a torrential rain.

This is my third position with the City. Previously I worked at the Wharf and as a custodian.

I enjoy the outdoors both on and off the job. I run at least four times a week.

I have been married for 25 years and am proud of our five beautiful children.