Laura Estep

Parking Attendant


I came to Public Works over ten years ago. In addition to my job here, I take care of elderly parents and work at Gilda’s restaurant. I love my jobs and my life in Santa Cruz. Even though I do not have much free time right now, I am happy!

As a Parking Attendant I enjoy assisting the public anyway I can, working at several different locations within Parking Services. I collect parking fees, sell monthly permits, welcome and greet the public, give directions and answer questions. I try to keep a positive attitude even when dealing with difficult or angry customers. I attempt to keep smiling and stay calm no matter what.

Customers see my sense of humor—especially at Halloween. I dress up with a dark wig and lots of makeup and false eyelashes. Customers always ask who I am and say they've never seen me before which always gives me a laugh!

At home I have several rescued animals: two cats, one dog, two rabbits and one bird.

I take sustainability messages to heart: our household recycles everything and we use plastic buckets during our showers to collect water for our plants.