Craig Pearson

Superintendent of Resource Recovery


Born and bred here in Santa Cruz, I really care for our environment. Managing operations at the Resource Recovery Facility has been a perfect fit for me over 25 years now.

I am perhaps most proud that I helped to start our City’s commercial recycling program and that it continues to grow. And I’m happy with our new diversion area service which processes material that is then offered to the public for a minimal fee—redwood chips, base rock and so on.

The toughest part of the job is dealing with the hundreds of regulations that govern electronic and hazardous waste processing, recycling, resource recovery, green waste processing and landfill.

I live a green lifestyle at home with my wife and three sons. We compost, garden, use rain barrels and ride bikes.

My dog Buster is a light of my life. He was found abandoned at a foreclosed home in bad condition. With loving care he has since grown to eighty-five pounds and is completely spoiled. Buster loves the beach, walks and dog parks.